- 3 pounds strawberries
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
1. Start heating the water in your canning pot. (You can find more information in our Sourcebook on page 38 regarding canning)
2. Combine the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the jam reaches 220°F and is the consistency you prefer.
3. Remove from the heat. Funnel the jam into the sterilized jars, leaving 1⁄2 inch headspace.
4. Wipe the jars clean and place the lids on the jars. Process in the water bath for 10 minutes.
5. Store the jars in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year. Once opened, store in the fridge for up to 1 month.
TIP: When making any jam, you can check to see if it is set by removing a spoon from the freezer and dribbling several drops of the jam onto the spoon. Wait a few seconds, and then run a finger through the jam. If it leaves a track in the jam, it is done. If it runs together, keep cooking the jam and test a few minutes later.