You can find the following excerpt from our Sourcebook! Click here to get the full book!
Katherine Lesh has known organic farming all her life. Her father, Tom Shepherd, was one of the pioneers of organic farming in Carpinteria, California. As an adult with a family of her own now, Katherine and her husband Jason run a farm cart and sell CSA-inspired farm boxes that include 75 percent locally grown organic produce. They work hard to stand behind the words “organic” and “local” as much as possible. They’ve already helped more than five farmers become certified organic so they can sell their produce at the farm cart and in the farm boxes, which is not an easy task. It is Katherine’s passion and continuing support for organic, seasonal, and local produce that inspires us.
Besides being a master at roasting vegetables, Katherine’s true craft is connecting people with their food sources—inspiring people to buy real food that comes from the ground and not a package. She has an “anyone can cook, just get in the kitchen and try” kind of attitude, and makes cooking accessible and carefree. Her favorite part of cooking is tasting as you go. Her best advice: don’t be scared to use salt and fresh herbs.
Find Katherine's favorite Massaged Kale Salad with Strawberries here! Serves 4.
- 2 bunches lacinato kale
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, for topping
- Slivered almonds, for topping
- Sliced strawberries, for topping
1. Remove the ribs from the kale and cut the leaves into super-thin slices. Use 1⁄4 cup of the olive oil and massage it into the leaves for about 5 minutes, until they become soft and tender.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mayonnaise, garlic, and salt until combined.
3. Add the dressing mixture to the massaged kale and toss until completely coated.
4. Top with the cheese, almonds, and strawberries.