With all the love that's in the air during February, it's always greatly appreciated to treat your closest family members and friends to a little something special. Emma's sourdough waffles are just the key! Although they take a bit of preparation, nothing is more mouthwatering than a warm, crispy waffle topped with freshly picked berries and edible flowers.
Maintaining a healthy sourdough starter means accumulating excess amounts that can either be discarded or used. Emma chooses to use.
These waffles are delicious, easy, and nutritious, but they do need to be started 8 to 12 hours in advance. She serves them topped with homemade yogurt or kefir, fresh fruit, and a slight drizzle of maple syrup. They are also great plain or toasted as a midmorning snack or treat, or, on occasion, a yummy sandwich bread. The waffles keep in the fridge for a week and freeze beautifully. Just pop them in the toaster and then top with your favorite goodies.
Gather your ingredients...
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup kefir or milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup melted unsalted butter (or desired fat or oil)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (according to taste preference)
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
1. In a large bowl, combine the starter, flour, kefir, lemon juice or vinegar, and honey (if using). Cover and let it sit on the counter overnight, 8 to 12 hours.
2. Plug in your waffle iron. It should be hot and ready to go by the time you have finished making your batter.
3. To the sourdough mixture, add the melted butter, eggs, vanilla, almond flour, flax, and cinnamon and whisk until the batter is combined.
4. Add the baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk more, until the batter rises and gets puffy.
5. Open the hot waffle maker and pour in enough batter to fill the mold. Cook until golden brown. Enjoy with your favorite toppings.