These slightly tangy and berry sweet popsicles are bursting with flavor. Loaded with beneficial probiotics, you can make them from scratch by creating your own milk kefir at home or skip the first step and just buy plain, full fat milk kefir at the store. Add strawberries and maple syrup, a pinch of sea salt, blend and freeze and you've got quite a summertime or anytime treat.
STEP ONE, MAKING MILK KEFIR:
Milk Kefir is a fermented beverage that contain good for you probiotics. It uses kefir grains to ferment milk, which results in a tangy drinkable beverage. It can be made from any source of milk, such as goat, sheep or cow.
- 1-2 tablespoons of milk kefir grains
- 2 cups of animal milk (cow, goat, etc.), preferably organic, raw or non-homogenized (never ultra pasteurized)
- Place the milk kefir grains and the milk in a half gallon glass mason jar or vessel of choice.
- Cover lightly and leave at room temp for at least 12 hours up to 48. Ideally away from direct sunlight. The longer you ferment the tangier it is.
- After 12 hours, start tasting the kefir until it reaches desired level of fermentation.
- Strain out the milk kefir grains and either repeat the process or store the new set of kefir grains in the fridge for up to a month.
- Store the fermented milk kefir in the refrigerator until you drink it.
STEP TWO, MAKING STRAWBERRY POPSICLES
- 2 cups of milk kefir
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoons maple syrup (depending on desired sweetness)
- pinch sea salt
- Place the milk kefir, strawberries, maple syrup and sea salt in blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into popsicle molds or ice cube trays.
- Place in freezer until frozen.