It's that time of year. Summer is winding down and school is back in session. For us a new school year ahead goes hand in hand with packing a healthy lunch. But food for our littles does not have to be predictable like peanut butter and jelly or grilled cheese sandwiches. Spruce up your child's lunch (or your own!) with a rainbow bowl in a mason jar! Add your favorite grain, legume (optional), veggies and top with toasted sunflower seeds and even a sprinkling of goat cheese. The possibilities are endless! To get full buy-in with your child, ask her to create the rainbow bowl with you! (I find that when my kiddos get to choose what will go in their lunch and help pack it the more likely they are to eat their lunch!) Drizzle with olive and sea salt or your own homemade pesto or chimichuri and the result is a healthy bowl that is delicious and will keep your child energized for the rest of the school day.
Need a 1/2 quart to 1 quart mason jar with lid.
- Cooked quinoa or grain of choice
- Cooked legumes (my kids love black beans) or chicken or poached egg (optional)
- Shredded carrots, cucumbers, lettuce, red cabbage and other garden delights
- Chopped Tomatoes or avocado or roasted veggies like beets, zucchini, mushrooms or eggplant
- Toasted and lightly salted sunflower seeds
- Goat cheese
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
1. Layer ingredients in vessel of choice. First add a layer of quinoa. Next a layer of legumes. Then veggies, sunflower seeds and cheese (if desire).
2. Drizzle with really good olive oil or pesto or sauce of choice. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds, goat cheese and sea salt. Cover and send in your child's lunch box.