Heritage Goods and Supply
Weaving as Meditation
Weaving on a handloom is joyful, gratifying, and contemplative; it is an ideal antidote to the hustle of our busy lives. If you are searching for a way to reconnect with your inner self and slow your pace, my ‘Weaving as Meditation’ workshop is the perfect place to start.
The workshop combines handweaving with mindfulness and self-nourishment. In the session, you will discover a traditional and ancestral craft as I guide you in the creation of a simple, beautiful, and useful handweaving. I will teach you about meditation and the benefits of relaxed open breathing while you weave.
The class will give you time to focus on yourself and bring some much-needed peace and tranquility. Through it, you will become part of a long lineage of women’s circles, using your hands to craft in community, as has been done for centuries.
Workshop includes instructions and kit.
The kit includes:
- A sturdy metal loom, 7"x 7"
- One bag of flax colored cotton loops which makes two 6" potholders
- Two hooks (one metal for loop weaving and one plastic for finishing)
- Instructions to help you step-by-step through the weaving process
By the end of the session you will have gained:
- instruction on how to make a handweaving
- teaching on breathing and meditation techniques
- achieved moments of peace and deep stillness
When: Saturday, July 10th, 10am-1pm
Instructor: Kate Kilmurray
Location: Heritage Goods & Supply, Carpinteria
*Note: There is a 3 person minimum requirement for this class to proceed. If we do not reach 3 participants we will unfortunately have to cancel the class and refund you in full 48 hours before the scheduled workshop.